Relies on Fire

The Banksia

The Banksia

Today I met some Aussies who were no exception to the norm – very friendly. One of them worked closely with one of the ex-prime ministers of Australia. That explains why she was interested in hearing about my brother who lives in Washington D.C. The other is a cosmopolitan girl who introduced me to her friends and took me on a scenic walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee beach.

The walk from Bondi to Coogee is 6km long each way. For my American friends, that equals about 3.8 miles each way (go to www.onlineconversion.com to work out all sorts of conversions). Along the way, my new Aussie friend introduced me to a very interesting plant called the bansksia.

I was surprised to learn that the banksia plant relies at least somewhat on fire to reproduce. According to this wikipdia article, fire helps expose its seeds and creates a favourable environment for reproduction. Brush fires are common to Australia…and the fires serve a purpose; just ask the banksia. However, man’s presence has created too much of a good thing. Wikipedia goes on to say that man-made fires pose a threat to this genus of plant.

Although bears are not present in Australia (and no, koalas are not really bears), protection of the banksia sounds like a job for Smokey the Bear.

Smokey says natural fires only for the banksia, please.

Anyway, the walk was gorgeous. Along the way from Bondi to Coogee, we passed several beaches, all of them separated from each other by rock formations. For those of you familiar with the Carolina beaches, this was totally different. There were no miles long (oops, I mean kilometers long) stretches of beaches. Each was its own unique playground.

All of them ready for further exploration by this koalablogger…

9 thoughts on “Relies on Fire

1. Cheryl Tuba

Hi Brad,

It sounds like you are having fun and learning a great deal. will you be able to post pictures also?

2. Nick V.

Glad to see you made it there safe and sound. Well, safe anyway!

Brad arrives in Sydney; it snows there for the first time in 150 years; a Qantas plane has a rare mishap. Coincidences? I think not.

And so much for me telling the Aussie Nielsen folks that your work required minimal, if any, editing. You use “relies” in the title, but “relys” in the body. Tsk, tsk.

-Nick

3. buzzsaw304

Sorry Nick. I corrected it for you. You didn’t catch the fact that I also misspelled environment. So much for me telling the Nielsen sales folks that I could always count on you to catch may mistakes and send the client a clean report.

Thanks for looking at the site!

4. Scott H.

Long walks on the beach with “friends,” learning about nature…. sounds like you’re off to a good start, mate.

5. susan

Brad,
    I am happy you made it. It snowed!!!!! You are making a grand entrance into the country.
    We love you and will keep up with your adventures.
    Aunt Susan

6. Greg

Hey what’s up man, nice website. Hope all is well in Australia. I just got back from Lollapalooza in Chicago. It was pretty awesome. Rage played with de la Rocha. I got out of town just in time. Apparently Chicago had a really bad storm shortly after I left, and they had to evacuate O’Hare’s terminals and cancel a lot of flights. Keep me posted about your new adventures. Later.

7. Chris

Hey there cousin,

Sounds like Australia suits you well, as it should. Put me on the email list, and I will look forward to hearing all of your stories and hopefully seeing some pictures. Enjoy it and try to stay out of trouble kiddo (serious trouble anyway)!

8. Lisa Richardson

hey brad. missing Ohio yet?! sure not! great website. i will be living vicariously through. Sounds like you’re doing great. Wonderful! “let’s see more!!”